Saturday, February 28, 2009

Uhm, what's school?



Someone once told me when I was young and impressionable that your life is as complicated as your keychain. I don’t remember who it was, but I really agree with that. I have three keys on my keychain here in France – one for my green bag-locks, one for my blue bag-locks, and one for the apartment I’m staying in; so I really only ever use one. I go to class, I get assignments, and that’s my only obligation. I’ve never had so much freedom in my life. I hope I use it wisely!

Classes started this week, and they’re going to be challenging I think. My translation course in particular is going to wring me dry, but I think it’ll be a good thing. I have nothing else to do really but study, for my keychain is barren.

My fashion class will also be challenging. I’ve always been floundering when it came to fashion, and my vocabulary in French (let alone English) in regards to the latest Louis Vuitton line just doesn’t cut it compared to the others. Watch out errbody, I’m gonna be oh-so-stylish when I return!

My African Lit. course has a lot of reading (which is also a good thing), and I’m supplementing it well with the Autobiography of Malcom X.

I’m in another class called “Les Lieux de Memoire” which means “places of memory”, which really means “field trips to the coolest monuments in Paris”. We saw Victor Hugo’s tomb in the bowels of the Pantheon this past Thursday. No biggie.

I’m also in a Nouvelle Vague class, French New Wave cinema, which will be focusing on two producers who were husband and wife. Their names escape me at the moment, but I’m sure by the end of the semester I’ll know them all too well.

In addition to this rigorous school schedule, I’ve offered my services to a local co-op, and I couldn’t be more excited. I gave my telephone number to the owner of this little place called Le Moulin a Café (under the advice of my host mom Renee), and I will hopefully be getting a call soon so I can start preparing food, organizing activities, and washing dishes at the darling cultural establishment. It’s a type of restaurant-thing with daily activities for adults and kids. The food is ridiculously low priced, and everyone seems really nice (Renee took me there yesterday to check it out, she wanted to try to get me a show there). Little did she know I spent my afternoon looking for a place to volunteer… it worked out perfectly! I feel like I just gave my number to some boy and I’m eagerly awaiting the first call (don’t worry Carl, the owner was a woman).

On a side note, I still haven’t been to the Eiffel Tower. I’ve seen it from afar, but I haven’t gotten close. I think I’m the only one in our group who didn’t rush to it the first change they got. I just figure I’m going to be here for a while, and I’ll probably see a lot of it in the next four months.

No comments:

Post a Comment